Incredibly tasty, quick and easy to make, this Apple Dump Cake only takes minutes to prepare. Made using pantry staples, this cake is ideal as a last-minute dessert.
There’s nothing I love more than quick and easy desserts. This apple dump cake is my go-to recipe whenever I have unexpected guests or when craving something sweet. Despite taking only minutes to make, this apple cake is decadent, sticky, and delicious.
All you need to make this cake is cake mix, apple pie filling and melted butter. If you’re feeling fancy, you can also add pecans, walnuts, spices and raisins. As the name suggests, everything gets dumped in a baking tray, pop it in the oven and get the most scrumptious apple cake.
I like to serve this cake warm, freshly out of the oven, topped with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Why You’ll Love This Apple Dump Cake
Table of Contents
- Ideal last-minute dessert: This apple dump cake recipe is perfect whenever you have unexpected guests or need a quick cake. No need to run to the shop either, as most ingredients are pantry staples!
- You probably already have all the ingredients: This recipe only calls for apple pie filling, cake mix and melted butter, which we all have in our pantries. Feel free to make it more extra by adding pecans, apple pie spice, raisins or other toppings.
- Super easy: No special equipment or tools are needed for this recipe, as you also don’t need to be a skilled baker. Anyone can make this amazing apple cake.
- Only 5-minute preparation: Saying that this recipe takes 5 minutes is definitely on overestimate. You only need about a minute to dump the apple pie filling in a baking dish, top with cake mix, then pour melted butter on top. Yep, it’s THAT easy.
- Mess-free: No bowls are needed, so there’s little washing up to do. All you need is a 9×13 inch baking dish and a spatula.
- Crunchy, sticky and delicious: This cake has the most amazing texture, with sticky apples at the bottom and crunchy cake on top.
- The best comfort cake: Eating this dessert feels like a warm hug, so I recommend having it whenever you need something unapologetically sweet and cosy.
Apple Dump Cake Ingredients
Apart from its amazing flavour and texture, this cake is great because it only uses 3 main ingredients. And you probably already have them in your pantry- that’s the beauty of dump cakes.
- Apple pie filling – store-bought pie filling is the best choice for this recipe. You will need about 2 cans.
- Cake mix – I like to use yellow cake mix, but you can also go for French vanilla. However, anything you have in your pantry will do the trick!
- Melted butter – Regular baking butter works best for this recipe, and it needs to be fully melted before using.
- Optional: apple pie spice – I highly recommend using spices to make the apple flavour pop even more. If you don’t have apple pie spice, you can use a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Optional: pecans or walnuts – Again, highly recommended you use pecans or walnuts. They add a wonderful crunch and a deep nutty flavour to the apple dump cake.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
- Dump two cans of apple pie filling into a baking dish.
- Evenly cover with one box of cake mix.
- Optional: sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts and apple pie spices.
- Pour melted butter on top and tilt the dish around to distribute butter evenly. Bake and serve warm!
The base recipe for this apple dump cake is very simple and only needs two ingredients. However, if you want to make it even more amazing, here are some toppings and extra ingredients you can use:
- Replace apple pie filling with any other type of filling. I recommend pumpkin or cherry.
- Top with pecans, walnuts, or other types of nuts
- Sprinkle with raisins or dried fruit
- Use apple pie spice or other spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or ginger
- Replace the yellow cake mix with French Vanilla or chocolate cake mix
- Serve with maple syrup, honey, caramel sauce
- Add a generous ice cream scoop on freshly out of the oven apple cake. I recommend vanilla ice cream for the most amazing flavour combination.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t tap down the dry ingredients: sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling without tapping or pressing it down. Pressing down the flour mix can make the apple dump cake too dense.
- Sprinkle apple pie spice between layers: I like to add spices in between each layer for the most amazing flavour throughout the cake.
- Fully melted butter: the butter needs to be fully melted before pouring it over the cake mix. This makes it easier to spread around evenly.
- Tilt the dish: after pouring the butter as evenly as possible, tilt the baking dish around to spread the butter. Do not use a spatula to spread it around, as this will make it stick to the cake mix and clump up in one spot. Keep tilting the dish until the butter is in an even layer. It’s okay if you have small spots that are uncovered by butter.
- Bake until golden-brown: baking time can vary depending on your oven and how well the butter is spread across the top. Once the top looks golden-brown in colour, your cake is ready, so keep an eye on it.
Storage and Freezing
I recommend serving this decadent apple dump cake freshly out of the oven, with a generous scoop of ice cream on top.
This cake is also great for longer-term storage. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. Ensure the cake is fully cooled before freezing or refrigerating. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight. To serve, after thawing reheat in the oven for 15 minutes at 325F.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup salted butter melted
- ½ cup pecans chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a 9×13 inches baking dish.
- Dump the apple pie filling directly into the tray and spread it evenly with a spatula. If using apple pie spice, sprinkle 1 teaspoon directly over the pie filling.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the apple pie filling evenly. Do not press it down. Top with the remaining 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (optional).
- Pour melted butter directly over the cake mix, trying to get it as even as possible. Do not use a spatula to try to spread the butter. Instead, tilt the baking dish at an angle and in a circular motion to spread the butter across the cake mix. It’s okay to have a few uncovered spaces.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans or other desired toppings. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden-brown in color.
- Serve warm with ice cream, honey or caramel sauce.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.
I loved how simple this apple dump cake was to make – it was a real hit with my family!
It was a great dessert for my family to enjoy! We loved the apples and the smell was amazing around the house. We had it with ice cream on top!
I can’t even believe how easy it is to throw this cake together. It takes no time AT ALL, but it looks like you’ve spent the whole day making it! It also makes the house smell AMAZING. Love it.
Such an easy cake to make! And with only 5 ingredients it is a cinch to make!
This looks so delicious, not to mention beyond easy to make! I’ll definitely be keeping this one in mind once fall rolls around, can’t wait to try it for myself!