Get your coffee and chocolate fix satisfied in one bite. These Coffee Cheesecake Bars have a decadent brownie bottom and a creamy cheesecake layer full of coffee flavor, they make the perfect indulgent dessert.
Cheesecakes recipes are usually super complex and require lots of steps. However, cheesecake bar recipes simplify everything. The don’t need to be perfect because these ones are covered in a ganache so you won’t even be able to see the cracks!
Whether you need a special occasion dessert for the holiday season, or just something want to share something with the coffee lovers in your life, these brownie bottom bars are perfect.
Coffee Cheesecake Bars Ingredients
Table of Contents
- Brownie mix – To make these bars easy, we’re just using a box mix here. You can use homemade brownies if you prefer and have the time to make them. We added a touch of vanilla extract to make them extra special.
- Cream cheese – Make sure this is room temperature. No one likes big chunks of cream cheese in their cheesecake!
- Granulated sugar – We need an element of sweet to these cheesecake bars, and white sugar will do just that.
- Eggs – Eggs are used in cheesecake to provide a thickening agent. They also provide richness and flavor to these coffee cheesecake bars. Any time eggs are called for, always assume it’s a large egg.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla is added to most baked goods to provide flavor. It helps balances out the coffee and chocolate flavors of these cappuccino cheesecake bars. But if you are looking for coffee overload, swap this for coffee extract.
- Marshmallow fluff – Not only does this provide a sweet flavor, but it also gives a fluffy texture to the coffee cheesecake layer. It’s our secret ingredient!
- Instant coffee – Instead of brewed coffee, we’re just using regular instant coffee (that same stuff used to make the whipped coffee mixture- dalgona coffee) to provide that bold coffee flavor. Try decaf if you are planning to serve these to kids… although kids don’t seem to be big fans of mocha flavored desserts.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – To make the ganache layer, we need to melt chocolate chips with the heavy whipping cream.
- Heavy cream – When added to the melted chocolate chips, heavy cream thins out the mixture and makes the perfect ganache.
How to Make Coffee Cheesecake Bars
- Prepare and bake brownies. Prepare the brownie mix as the instructions are listed on the box, plus vanilla extract for extra flavor. I lined the pan with parchment paper to use a sling to remove the brownies easily. ALso spray the parchment with cooking spray for easiest handling. Bake in the prepared pan following the temperature and time instructions on the box for a 9×9 baking dish. Once baked, allow to cool enough to touch.
- Preheat oven. Using a large spoon, lightly press down on the brownie to compact it down slightly and heat the oven for the next layer. .
- Make cheesecake filling. To start the filling, place the cream cheese and sugar into a large bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture. Once well combined, add in the marshmallow fluff and mix.
- Prepare instant coffee. In a separate bowl, add the instant coffee and hot water and mix until the coffee has fully dissolved. Pour into the cheesecake filling mixture and mix until fully incorporated and the mixture is streak free. Pour over the brownie layer and spread evenly.
- Bake. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature and bake again. Once finished baking, turn the oven off leaving the coffee cheesecake bars inside for a bit longer. Remove and allow the cheesecake to come to room temperature. Slowly lowering the temperature instead of going from totally hot to cold will prevent the cheesecake bars from cracking. If they do crack, no worries because you will be slathering the top with chocolate ganache.
- Make the chocolate ganache. Whisk together the heavy whipping cream dry coffee granules until almost dissolved, then add the chocolate chips. Microwave in intervals and mix until shiny and silky smooth. If the ganache is clumpy or matte looking after mixing for a minute, place back in the microwave for a little longer, but try not to over cook otherwise it gets cakey and will not pour. Pour the ganache over the cheesecake and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate. Cover the cheesecake, and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, but more is preferable.
- Serve. Once chilled, take it out of the pan using the parchment as a sling and cut into squares and serve with whipped cream. Sprinkle with more instant coffee, if you like. If the bars are sticking, it might be helpful to use a wet knife or plastic knife.
Storage and Freezing
If you happen to have leftover Coffee Cheesecake Bars, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
If you’d like to freeze it, be sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap and then put it in an airtight container. It will freeze well for up to two months.
More bars & cheesecake
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Snickerdoodle Bars
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- Thin Mint Cheesecake Bars
- Biscoff Cheesecake
Coffee Cheesecake Bars
- 18.3 ounce boxed brownie mix , plus ingredients to make them (oil, eggs & water)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
Make the Brownies:
- Line a 9X9 baking dish with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the brownie mix as the instructions are listed on the box plus vanilla extract. Cook the brownies following the temperature and time instructions on the box. Allow to cool.
- Using the back of a large spoon, lightly press down on the brownie to compact it. Set aside.
Make the Coffee Cheesecake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and sugar, for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, continuing to mix until no streak remain.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and mix.
- In a separate small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of the instant coffee and the hot water, whisking until dissolved.
- Combine with the cheesecake filling mixture until just blended. Pour over the brownies and tap the pan on the counter to evenly distribute.
- Bake for 20 minutes. At the 20 minutes mark, without opening the door, reduce to 200°F and continue baking for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, turn the oven off entirely and allow to cool in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and set on a wire cooling rack to cool fully.
Make the Chocolate Ganache:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream and dry instant coffee granules, whisk until they start to dissolve. Add the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 1 minute and mix until shiny and silky smooth.
- If the ganache is clumpy or matte looking after mixing for a minute, place back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Do not over cook.
- Pour the ganache over the cheesecake and spread evenly using an offset spatula.
- Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Once chilled, take out and cut into 12 squares.
- Top with whipped cream, whole coffee beans or another sprinkle of instant coffee granules (if desired, but please do not eat).
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.