Sometimes called a dunkaroo dip, this Funfetti Cake Batter Dip only needs 3 ingredients for the party dessert dip! Birthday parties, BBQs, potlucks; everyone will rave about this nostalgic classic.
If you’re like me, you remember licking the batter off the spoon or spatula covered with batter from whatever cake or cookie you were making with Mom. This cake batter dip takes me back to those days.
Cake Batter Dip aka Dunkaroo Dip
Table of Contents
This dessert dip also reminds me of fun birthday parties with its colorful sprinkles! Who can’t be festive diving into a dip of rainbow-colored goodness? You could also call this funfetti cake dip or animal cracker dip, but regardless of the name it’s still a perfectly colorful sweet treat.
Some people prefer to make their cake batter dip recipes with pudding but I prefer to mix up my dip with yogurt and Cool Whip (or other whipped toppings). I like that the yogurt makes the cake batter dip a bit healthy, and whipped cream adds an airiness to the texture.
While you might enjoy this dip all on your own, if you have some kiddos they are sure to love it! It’s also easy enough for them to help you make it. With only three steps, they can surely lend a hand and get excited about assisting in the kitchen.
- White cake mix- choose any cake mix that’s your favorite, but make sure to sift it ahead of time. By sifting, you can avoid unfortunate lumps you’d need to work out when mixing.
- Whipped topping– a tub of whipped topping would probably be easiest to manage, but if you already have whipped cream in sprayed form, you can measure it out to make the recipe work.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt– choose your favorite brand of Greek yogurt. You can also use any brand of regular yogurt, though I like the way that the slight tang of Greek yogurt rounds out the sweetness from the cake mix and whipped topping.
- Festive sprinkles– sprinkles are what make this cake batter dip festive! I like to grab a shaker of colorful sprinkles, but you can choose any that you prefer.
- Crackers or cookies for dipping– animal crackers are amazing with this dip, but crunchy graham crackers are tasty, too.
How To Make Cake Batter Dip
- Mix together the cake mix, whipped topping, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl until it is completely combined. Be sure to completely mix at this stage in order to avoid over-mixing once the sprinkles have been added. Too much mixing in the second step can result in spread of the color from the sprinkles.
- Fold in a couple of tablespoons of colorful sprinkles. Ensure that the sprinkles are evenly spread, but mix as little as possible to try to keep the sprinkles solid and avoid their color bleeding throughout the dip.
- Serve with graham crackers, cookies, or animal crackers.
Why You’ll Love Cake Batter Dip
- Easy– just a few quick ingredients mixed by hand makes for a fast dessert dip.
- Versatile– this dip is a fun one to bring to a party, cookout, or book club gathering but it’s also a great addition to your little one’s slumber party.
- You can dip nearly anything in it– grab some hearty fruit like apples or strawberries or crack open a box of graham crackers, wafers, animal crackers, or any cookies. If you’re into salty/sweet combinations, pretzels work well in any form, from pretzel sticks to pretzel chips.
- Long Shelf Life– you can store this dip in the fridge for up to five days. That means you can make it ahead for a party, or you can make it just for you and snack all week.
- Switch up the mix- make it chocolate instead, or get fruity with strawberry or lemon. Any flavor that you love will work.
- Add a pop of color– this cake batter dip is perfect for parties, so add some color for some pizazz.
- Use a flavored yogurt– instead of vanilla, choose a flavor that you prefer, or is seasonal. Strawberry Greek yogurt is super summery, peach is perfect for spring, and who wouldn’t love pumpkin in autumn?
- Choose different sprinkles– if you don’t have your heart set on a colorful dip, you can choose just chocolate sprinkles instead of the ones that are funfetti styled.
More Dessert Dips
Funfetti Cake Batter Dip
- 15.25 ounce white cake mix sifted
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- rainbow sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the white cake mix, whipped topping and yogurt, mix until combined and no dry spots remain.
- Gently fold in 1-2 tablespoons of the sprinkles, being mindful to not stir too much or they will start to bleed colors. Top with additional festive sprinkles.
- Serve with your favorite dippers.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how you liked it in the comments or star ratings.