If you’re a fan of brownies and butterscotch you’re going to love these butterscotch blondies. This sweet treat blends all of the amazing texture of chewy brownies with a decadent butterscotch flavor.
Table of Contents
The secret to this recipe is using the dark brown sugar to make them rich and delicious. And even though these chewy bars are amazing on their own, you can also toss them in a bowl and top them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make them even better.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s so easy as is but it’s also great to customize. Add in your own additions to make it your signature dessert.
The next time you’re looking for easy dessert recipes to take to a cookout or party, consider these blonde brownies. If you’re a fan of butterscotch and chewy blondies, this will be your new favorite recipe.
Why You’ll Love Butterscotch Blondies
- Easy – With just a handful of ingredients, these are super simple to make.
- Convenient – Most of the ingredients are already likely in your pantry.
- Portable – The tasty sweets travel well to any cookout or party and can also be packed for sweet treats in lunches.
- Customizable– You can add your own dash of pizazz to these blond brownies.
What is a Blondie?
A blondie is basically a chocolate brownie, but without the chocolate and vanilla instead. Some use browned butter and others just brown sugar and molasses for flavoring.
Use these simple pantry ingredients to make delicious bars!
- All-purpose flour – All purpose flour will give these blondies the perfect texture. But feel free to experiment with alternative flours like almond.
- Baking powder – This leavening agent will make your blondies rise beautifully.
- Fine sea salt – Just a pinch of salt will bring out all of the varied flavors.
- Dark brown sugar – You can use light brown sugar, but the darker variety will lend more molasses-like flavor. Also, make sure it’s packed to get the accurate amount.
- Unsalted butter – Melt the butter to make it easier to mix but also cool it slightly.
- Eggs – Make sure to use the whole egg — don’t try to skimp on calories with just the white. The yolk emulsifies the mixture.
- Vanilla extract – Grab it at the store or make it a home, or even use a different extract like almond for a nutty aroma or coffee for a different flavor.
- Butterscotch chips – These are obviously a definitive part of the recipe and what gives it its great taste. Buy them at your grocery store or online.
How To Make Butterscotch Blondies
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. You can also sift it into the bowl. As long you do something to help all of the dry ingredients evenly incorporate.
- Next, in a separate bowl whisk (or use a hand electric mixer or a stand mixer on medium speed) together the brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until the butter mixture is smooth and all ingredients are incorporated. Use a low speed and make sure to use a rubber spatula to the ingredients on the side of the bowl integrated in the mixture.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then stir them together ensuring that all ingredients in the flour mixture are moist.
- Add the butterscotch chips to the mixture.
- Then, using a spatula or large spoon, fold the chips into the mixture until they are evenly distributed.
- Using your hands (preferably moistened, to make it easier), spread the batter evenly into the baking dish prepared with parchment paper and cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the butterscotch chips over the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake the blondies until the top appears dry. An inserted toothpick should come out clean when it’s ready, and the blondies should be golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan before using the parchment paper to help you lift them out. You can place them on a wire rack to completely cool.
- Cut them into bars in the size you prefer.
- Place the remaining butterscotch chips into a microwave-safe small bowl, then microwave in 15-second intervals until the butterscotch is pourable. Be sure to stir between each interval.
- Pour the melted butterscotch into a piping bag (or a plastic bag and cut a small piece of the corner off).
- Use the piping bag to do a drizzle or butterscotch sauce over the cut bars before letting them continue to set.
I’m always an advocate of customizing your recipes. Have fun with it and try one of these options!
- Drizzle – Melt some white chocolate chips, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or even peanut butter chips to drizzle over top.
- Nuts – For some nutty flavor, crush your favorite nuts like almonds, pistachios, or cashews and add them to the batter or sprinkle them over top,
- Low carb – If you want to lower the total carbohydrate count just switch out the sweeteners to a keto style sugar.
- Chips – You can also add chocolate chips of any variety to the batter.
- Candy – You can add toffee, chunks of candy bars, or any other favorite candy to the batter.
- Dried fruit – Sweeten up your blondies with some craisins, raisins, or other dried fruit.
- Spices – Experiment with cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other seasonal spices.
Storage and Freezing
Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also wrap them in plastic wrap or store in ziploc bags to freeze them for up to 3 months.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.
More Bar Recipes
Chewy Butterscotch Blondies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups butterscotch chips , divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir them together until there are no dry patches. Add 1 & ½ cups of the butterscotch chips and fold them in until evenly distributed.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish, I find it easier to do with moistened hands. Take a handful of the remaining butterscotch chips and sprinkle it over the batter for a pretty presentation.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top appears dry and set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely in the pan. Take the bars out using the parchment paper to help you lift them out. Cut into bars.
- Place the remaining butterscotch chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Place the melted butterscotch into a piping bag or ziplock bag and cut a small piece of the corner off. Drizzle over the cut bars, let them set for about 20 minutes so the butterscotch on top solidifies, and serve immediately.
These blondies were best treat for all of us last night post dinner. Absolutely delicious and so flavorful.
This dessert looks very appetizing. So beautiful and delicious! Also it’s easy to prepare. Yum!
These butterscotch blondies turned out soo delicious, and soft. It was a total hit in my family.
I made these blondies this weekend and they were a greta hit. I am making these again.