Who doesn’t love a banana split ice cream sundae? Just thinking about it takes me to memories of sitting with my grandmother in a booth, spoons in hand, sharing that sentimental goodness.
This version of a banana split is all mixed together to bring the flavors into one amazing ice cream. Instead of having to grab bits of bananas and then wisps of whipped cream and then scoops of the creamy ice cream on one spoon, it’s all blended so that you can get a glorious mouthful of all of the flavors.
Outside of how all of the flavors come together as one, the best part of this ice cream is that it’s so kid-friendly. It’s fun to make with the kiddos, but it also is more like a soft-serve ice cream, so it’s easier for the littles to love and dive right into!
Why You’ll Love This Ice Cream
Table of Contents
- Healthier– Since the base is basically bananas and cream, it’s an easy way to get some nutrients and fiber in while indulging in a treat. It is loaded with fresh fruit for nutrients.
- Quick– In just a few easy steps, you can get this ice cream churned out fast – without even churning!
What You’ll Need
- Bananas– make sure your bananas are properly ripe – no green on the outside, and definitely no brown on the inside. Save those brown ones for banana bread!
- Sugar– plain old granulated sugar will do the trick for this recipe. It dissolves quickly and adds just enough sweetness.
- Cream– heavy cream is what you need to make this ice cream super creamy. Don’t skimp with lower fat versions.
- Milk– use full fat milk to make sure this is as creamy and delicious as you want it to be.
- Pineapple– I prefer using sliced pineapple, but you can use diced as well. Grab it in the canned fruit section, or slice it up yourself.
- Cherry– you can use maraschino cherries, or buy some fresh ones and slice those up.
- Peanuts– choose your favorite brand of peanuts, salted or unsalted. Salted nuts will add a little extra flavor.
- Chocolate– whichever type of chocolate you prefer will work well. Consider using the darkest of chocolate since it will bring out the most flavor.
How To Make Banana Split Ice Cream
- Using a potato masher, stand mixer, or hand mixer, mash bananas with the sugar until all sugar is incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream with the milk until frothy.
- Add the cream and milk to the mashed bananas and sugar and mix until completely combined.
- Gently fold in the cherries, pineapple, chopped peanuts, and chocolate pieces.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours in an airtight container.
- Other nuts– instead of peanuts, or in addition, use some other nuts to add flavor and texture. Or choose no nuts!
- Chips– consider folding in some chocolate chips or peanut butter chips to add sweetness and crunch. Caramel or toffee is also fun.
- Graham crackers– adding graham crackers will add a crunchy twist to this recipe. I don’t recommend adding them until you are ready to serve so they don’t get soggy.
- Pretzels- Sweet and salty is divine- same as the graham crackers though, wait until you are ready to serve before adding them.
- Fried Bananas Topping– Elevate this even more with cinnamon honey fried bananas.
- Make it With Cake- Who doesn’t love cake and ice cream. Make it alongside this No-Bake Banana Split Cake.
Other Easy Ice Creams
Banana Split Ice Cream
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pineapple , sliced
- 1/2 cup cherries
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate , roughly chopped or chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas with the sugar using a potato masher or fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream and milk. Fold in the banana mixture.
- Stir the cherries, pineapple, chopped peanuts and chocolate. Freeze for at least 5 hours. Mixture will be a soft-serve consistency.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings!
I’ve never made a banana split ice cream. This looks so good. I love that you used pineapple in it as well! Yum!
This is heavenly! Love having all of the elements of a banana split just smashed into a deliciously smooth ice cream!
What a wonderful and delicious dessert all in one! This is just perfect for me when I want to cool down with this hot weather!
My kids and I loved making this sweet treat today! It was super easy and tasted great!
What a tasty recipe! Love that each bite had all the flavors!