This cute Easter bunny cake is one of my favorite Easter desserts. It’s absolutely adorable and the flavor is heavenly — no one can turn down a piece of this!
While the flavor is amazing and it’s so cute, the best part about this cake is that it comes together so quickly. You can make the whole thing ahead of time or you can do a few steps, and then once everyone is finished hunting for Easter eggs and finishing up Easter dinner you can quickly ice it, decorate, and serve.
The next time you’re looking for an easy dessert for this springtime holiday, try making this easy Easter bunny cake recipe.
Why You’ll Love Easter Bunny Cake
Table of Contents
This adorable bunny cake is bound to be a big hit at your Easter celebration.
- Easy – Using cake mix and other simple ingredients this fun cake comes together quickly. It’s also easy to frost after freezing, like we recommend in the recipe.
- Convenient – All of these ingredients are easy to get at your local grocery store.
- Customizable – You can make all sorts of switch-ups and swaps to make this the perfect Easter bunny cake for your house!
These sweet ingredients are easy to source in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
- White cake mix (plus ingredients on box) – One of the things that makes this recipe so quick and easy is using a boxed mix — make it ahead of time to make the cake-making even quicker! Pro-tip: adding a little sour cream to your box mix makes it more moist.
- Vanilla frosting – You can make your own or buy it at the grocery store.
- Food gel – Choose whatever color you want the bunny’s face and ears to be.
- Green food gel – This is for the bowtie. You can choose another color if you prefer.
- Shredded sweetened coconut – Any packaged variety will work for this.
- Jelly beans – Get a mixed bag that includes pink or black. You can also get a variety of flavors.
- Robin Easter candy eggs – These make an amazing garnish.
- Mini chocolate chips – You can get regular size chocolate chips too. Milk chocolate and dark chocolate both work well.
- Sour candy belts cut into thin strips – Use a sharp knife to slice these.
How To Make Easy Easter Bunny Cake
Make sure to use a sharp knife to slice out the shapes.
- Bake the cake mix in the recommended size round cake pans and set aside to cool to room temperature on wire racks.
- Place the parchment paper on the serving tray, large platter, or cutting board.
- For the head, place a round cake shape down, then use a serrated knife to make the bunny ears and bow tie from the second round cake and place appropriately.
- Place cake in the freezer to chill so that the cake will be easier to frost.
- After removing from the cut-up cake from the freezer, frost the ears and bunny head using an offset spatula.
- Then, gently press shredded coconut flakes into the frosting.
- In a large bowl, mix together the food coloring of your choice with the rest of the frosting.
- Then frost the bowtie.
- Garnish the cake with jelly beans or chocolate egg candy and decorate the ears with pink jelly beans.
- Add the nose and the eyes using black jelly beans and the candy belt strips to make whiskers.
- Finally, create the mouth using chocolate chips.
- For the grass, combine the green food coloring and coconut in a large ziplock bag and shake until the coconut is completely coated.
- Delicately place the green coconut around the bunny and place robin eggs or jelly beans for garnish if desired.
You can make any adaptations to this cake that work for you.
- Food coloring – Use any coloring you want for the bunny or the bowtie.
- Cake flavor – Choose another type of cake besides white or vanilla cake. You can use chocolate cake mix or any others that are your favorite.
- Licorice – Make bows for the ears with delicious licorice.
- Vanilla extract – Add just a small bit of vanilla extract to the cake batter for added flavor.
- Coconut – If you like, sprinkle any excess un-dyed coconut over the top of the cake.
- Frosting – Change up the frosting by using buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
- Candy melts – Melt pink candy melts or other colors and use a piping bag to make designs or decorate the bunny.
- Coconut cake – For more coconut cake, make this a poke cake by poking small holes into the cake before decorating. Pour cream of coconut over the cake for a decadently delicious treat.
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
If you’re storing the entire cake you’ll need to make significant room in the fridge or freezer. However, leftover cake can be stored and placed in an airtight container or ziploc bag.
Make ahead: You can make the pieces of the cake ahead of time and frost just before you’re ready to serve.
Refrigerator: Cake slices will stay fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freezer: Store in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
More Fun Cakes and Cupcakes
Easter Bunny Cake
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients on box
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- Food gel color of your choice
- Green food gel
- 1 bag shredded sweetened coconut
- Jelly beans
- Robin Easter candy eggs
- Mini chocolate chips
- Sour candy belts cut into thin strips
- Bake cake according to box instructions, using two greased 8×8 inch or 9×9 inch round baking pans. Let the cakes cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Line a large cutting board, serving tray, or baking pan with parchment paper. Place one of the round cakes in the center for the head. To make the ears and bow tie cut 2 convex shaped ears from the second round cake and place on each side of the bunny’s head. Place the concave shaped piece below the head to make the bowtie.
- Place the cake in the freezer to chill for at least 30 minutes. This is optional but it will help frost the cake easier.
- Frost the ears and bunny head with the frosting and then lightly coat the frosting with shredded coconut.
- Add food gel (color of your choice) to a small mixing bowl and mix in the remainder of the frosting to frost the bowtie.
- To decorate the bunny, add jelly beans and/or Easter candy around the bowtie. Use pink jelly beans to decorate the ears. Use black jelly beans for the nose and eyes. Add thinly sliced sour candy belt strips to make the whiskers. Use mini chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips) to make the mouth,
- To make the green grass, place the remainder of the shredded coconut in a large ziplock bag and add a few drops of green food gel. Shake the bag until the coconut is green and sprinkle it around the bunny. Add Robin eggs or jelly beans around the grass for decoration (optional). Enjoy!
This cake is so cute! My younger one would love it!
This bunny cake looks so cute. Thanks for sharing
This cake is just the cutest! So perfect for the Easter holiday. 🙂
How adorable is this cake!?
Oh my, I love this! I can’t wait to make this with my daughter. She would dig it. So cute!