There’s nothing like the memory of deeply dunking Oreos in a tall glass of creamy milk. Whether you did the quick dunk for just a little milky goodness to coat the chocolatey and crunchy cream-filled cookie, or a long dunk that meant the milk seeped in to make it soft and sumptuous, it’s a childhood memory worthy of recreating. This Oreo milkshake does just that.
However, this Oreo milkshake doesn’t just dunk those Oreos in milk, it envelopes them in it. Flavorful vanilla ice cream and creamy milk mix together to create a rich, dreamy base for the crunchy chunks of Oreo goodness to swim in.
Oreo Milkshake Recipe
Table of Contents
And don’t forget about that white icing coating the cup, speckled with cookie coating. This at-home milkshake is Instagram-worthy.
Taking only minutes to make, an Oreo milkshake will make your Friday night right, but it’s also the perfect ending for a casual dinner party. It’s also a fun drink to make with the kids!
The best part of this super easy Oreo milkshake is that it is just so easy and fast to prepare. There’s no reason to not mix this up before settling down for some solid shows after a long day or a little spring or summer time outside.
What You’ll Need
- Oreo cookies– Oreo cookies are iconic, as they should be. For this recipe, these delectable cookies are the star of the show. To make sure that they’re easily crushed to spread throughout the milkshake, divide them before processing.
- White frosting– this sweet treat is the key to making your Oreo milkshake look like heaven in a glass. Don’t skimp when you spread this before sinking it into, and swirling it around, some Oreo crumbs. Chocolate frosting or cream cheese frostings are also good options!
- Vanilla ice cream- you can make your own homemade vanilla ice cream, but if time is short just grab your favorite brand. If you’re looking for suggestions, you can check out a ranking.
- Milk– if you’re making a milkshake, you might as well go full force and head for the full-fat. Flavor comes from fat, and this recipe certainly deserves the fullest of flavor.
- Whipped cream– you can make your own whipped cream or just grab the store-bought version you prefer. I like the spray can variety for its texture and the ability to make the garnish entertainingly theatrical in my home kitchen, but plopping a spoonful on top will work as well.
- Maraschino cherries– any brand of these little red cherries will do the trick to top your milkshake with a somewhat retro feel.
How To Make An Oreo Milkshake
- Pulse the Oreo cookies in a food processor until uniformly ground. It can be helpful to freeze them for 30 minutes prior to processing so that any remnants of the cream center don’t get gummy and inhibit your crushing. Alternatively, you can place them into an airtight plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin. Take 2 tablespoons of the Oreo crumbs and put them in a shallow dish or plate. Set the rest aside.
- Using a butter knife, spread vanilla frosting 1-2 inches down on the outside of two cooled malt glasses. Putting them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes prior will help prepare them and keep them cool for the milkshake. Roll the frosting in the Oreo crumbs. Set aside either on the counter or in the refrigerator or freezer. Bonus points for frosty glasses!
- In a blender, pulse together the ice cream and milk until they reach an entirely smooth consistency.
- Next, add the Oreo crumbs and pulse the Oreo milkshake to blend, but leave bits and pieces of the cookies for texture. Make sure that the crumbs are small enough to move through a straw if you choose to garnish with one.
- Pour the finished milkshake into the prepared malt glasses.
- Throw in some fancy straws if you have them, then garnish with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry or two.
What To Serve With An Oreo Milkshake
Really, an oreo milkshake is its own cup of heaven, but if you want to serve it aside another piece of decadent dessert, we won’t tell. Some ideas for sweets to serve:
- Oreo Cheesecake
- Cake Pops
- Oreo Icebox Cake
- Oreo Cookie Balls
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Other Decadent Dessert Drinks
- 12 Oreo cookies divided
- 1 tablespoon white frosting
- 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream or 3 large scoops
- 3/4 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Place the Oreo cookies into a food processor and pulse until uniformly ground. Alternatively, you can place them into an airtight plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin. Place 2 tablespoons of the Oreo crumbs in a shallow dish or plate. Set the rest aside.
- Using a butter knife, spread the frosting 1-2 inches down on two malt glasses. Roll the frosting in the Oreo crumbs. Set aside.
- In a blender, pulse together the ice cream and milk until smooth. Add the Oreo crumbs and pulse to blend, but leave bits and pieces of the cookies.
- Pour into the prepared malt glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and maraschino cherry.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings!
We love this oreo milkshake! So delicious and easy to make! Perfect on a sunny day to cool us off.
YUM! I love any dessert that only requires six ingredients (most of which I already have at home). My daughter will love this!
This is super easy and so delicious! My kids made me promise to make it for them all summer long. 😀
Well this recipe was a HUGE hit with the whole family! Yum! Can’t wait to make it again!
Ok drooling over this milkshake! What a great idea to spread frosting onto the edge of the glass…so trying this!