These easy Easter Rice Krispie treats are one of my favorite Easter desserts. After I make the effort to make a big Easter dinner, I like to serve an easy dessert and these little cereal desserts are perfect.
I generally put out a spread of after-dinner treats but I like for them to be simple and colorful. These hit the mark, for sure.
What I really love is that I can get my kiddos involved with making these. It’s so easy for them to pour and stir and they enjoy choosing and adding some of the variations, too.
The next time you’re looking for a fun, colorful treat for your afternoon celebration on Easter, try this easy recipe that both adults and children will enjoy.
Why You’ll Love Easter Rice Krispie Treats
Who wouldn’t love these crispy marshmallow treats? They’re so much fun and a great riff on classic rice krispie treats.
- Easy – These are such a classic dessert and yet they come together so quickly.
- Affordable – This is a totally cost-effective dessert that will please any palate.
- Convenient – All of the ingredients are already in your pantry or each to find at the grocery store.
With such a short ingredient list, it’s so easy to make these simple Easter treats.
- Mini marshmallows – Make sure to get the tiny ones so that they melt quickly — you want to ensure that you have completely gooey marshmallows when you’re mixing.
- Almond extract – You can use any extract you like but this one is nutty and gives the treats the perfect flavor.
- Salted butter – Since there isn’t salt in the other ingredients, you can use salted butter in this recipe instead of the typical unsalted butter that most baking recipes call for.
- Crispy rice cereal – You can go with generic brand or the common rice krispie cereal — it’s up to you and either will work well.
- Chocolate eggs or any Easter chocolate candy (like Cadbury eggs) – Roughly chop the candy so that it’s the perfect size.
- Sprinkles – Choose any colors that you like.
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats for Easter
With just a few easy steps these simple, festive treats will be ready to go. This is a great recipe for a classic treat that’s easy to make and your whole family is guaranteed to love them.
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Turn the heat to low and the first batch of marshmallows.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, pour in the almond extract.
- After the extract has been incorporated, remove the pot from the heat.
- Pour the rice cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture and stir all ingredients together until the marshmallow mixture is completely coating all of the cereal pieces.
- Add the reserved marshmallows, chopped candy, and sprinkles.
- Using a silicone spatula or rubber spatula, gently fold them in until evenly dispersed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan with non-stick spray.
- Press the mixture to ensure it is even.
- Bake for the recommended time and then allow to rest and come to room temperature before slicing.
You can make plenty of swaps and additions to make these easy sweet treats your own signature Easter dessert — or modify them to serve any time of year.
- Jelly beans – Add jelly beans into the treats or use them as garnish for colorful rice krispie treats.
- Food coloring – Add pastel colors to the marshmallow mixture for a colorful twist. Use a few drops of food coloring — either liquid or gel food coloring will work.
- Pan – Instead of baking these in a full pan, try portioning them into a mini muffin tin.
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
Refrigerator: Wrap the treats tightly with plastic wrap or keep them in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Make Ahead: You can make the recipe ahead of time and store until ready to serve.
Freezer: Freeze these bars for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container (if layering, place wax paper or parchment paper in between layers) or freezer bag.
More Spring Desserts
Easter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups plus 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2-1 cup chocolate Robin Eggs or any Easter Chocolate candy; roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Line a 9×9 inch pan with foil or parchment paper and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot or stock pot to medium heat and add butter and melt.
- Reduce the heat to low heat and add 6 cups of mini marshmallows. Stir until melted, then add almond extract.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the cereal until the marshmallow mixture completely coats the cereal. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows, chocolate Robin Eggs, and sprinkles until evenly distributed.
- Add the mixture to the prepared 9×9 inch pan and gently press the mixture into the pan. Make sure you don't press too hard otherwise your treats will be too dense and hard. Let rest for 30-60 minutes and slice into squares.