Crumbl is a nationwide cookie shop in the U.S. that’s known for their unique flavors and rotating menu.
While I could dive into their churro or key lime pie flavored cookies any day of the week I adore their Oreo style so I had to come up with a recipe for copycat Crumbl Oreo cookies.
These absolutely addictive treats start with a rich chocolate cookie full of crushed Oreos that’s then topped with a sweet buttercream-style icing that’s studded with more delicious pieces of Oreo goodness.
Even if you’ve never had Crumbl’s version, if you are a lover of Oreos as well as chocolate you’re going to be bowled over by these amazing cookies.
Why You’ll Love Copycat Crumbl Oreo Cookies
Who doesn’t love an Oreo-based dessert — especially in the form of chocolatey, soft cookies?
- Versatile – These copycat Crumbl Oreo cookies are just as delicious for snacking at home as they are for wowing guests at a party.
- Customizable – You can make them true to the original flavor or make them your own with lots of add-ins or swaps.
- Easy – Despite their looks, these are actually a pretty simple cookie to make.
- Affordable – There aren’t a lot of ingredients to use that you don’t already have in your kitchen.
Simple ingredients you can easily find at the grocery store are all you need to create this copycat cookie. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature for the best results.
- Butter – While typically we recommend unsalted butter for a recipe, you’ll want to use salted butter for this.
- Oil – Vegetable oil is best but other neutral oils will work.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar dissolves quickly when mixing and baking.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract is far superior in flavor to imitation. Or, you can make your own at home.
- All-purpose flour – This helps the cookies to rise perfectly.
- Black cocoa powder – If you can’t find it at the store you can buy this type of cocoa powder online.
- Crushed Oreos – Use a food processor or place the cookies in a sealable bag and crush them using a rolling pin or mallet.
- Baking powder – This leavening agent will also help the cookies to rise properly.
- Cream of tartar – Cream of tartar helps develop the perfect texture of these cookies.
- Butter – For the frosting, use unsalted butter. We recommend unsalted sweet cream butter.
- Powdered sugar – Confectioner’s sugar helps to give the frosting its smooth consistency.
- Heavy cream – Don’t skimp and go with a lower calorie version – the fat gives this frosting flavor.
- Vanilla extract – This flavor rounds out the frosting and brings out the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- Crushed Oreos – Be sure to create somewhat uniform sizes of the Oreo pieces (crumbs are okay — you can use them for garnish).
How To Make Crumbl Chocolate Oreo Cookies
Why go out to grab these (or order delivery) when you can make such a similar version at home with this simple recipe?
- Chop the Oreos with a knife or crush them in a bag using a rolling pin or mallet.
- Add butter, oil, and sugar to a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Beat the ingredients on high speed until they are creamed.
- Turn the speed to medium and add the eggs and vanilla. Continue to mix until all ingredients are smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, black cocoa powder, crushed Oreos, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Once the dry ingredients are completely combined, add half to the wet ingredients.
- On low speed, mix well while scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour in the remainder of the flour mixture and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop or melon baller, portion the dough into uniformly sized dough balls.
- Place each dough ball on the prepared baking sheet (with parchment paper) leaving room between each.
- Using your hand or the bottom of a glass, gently flatten the cookie slightly.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake the cookies until they have risen and are slightly firm.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- As the cookies cool, prepare the frosting.
- Add butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- On high speed, mix the ingredients until they are all fully incorporated while continuously scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag or ziploc bag.
- If using a ziploc bag, snip the corner off the bag.
- Pipe the frosting onto completely cooled cookies in a circular motion.
- To garnish, gently press the remainder of the crushed Oreos into the frosting and sprinkle Oreo crumbs on top.
While we love the original Crumbl Oreo Cookies you can put your own spin on them, too
- Nuts – Sprinkle crushed nuts on top or fold them into the dough.
- Extracts – Vanilla extract is perfect for this recipe but you can add other nuanced flavors by adding almond extract for nuttiness or coffee extract for bold flavor.
- Mini chocolate chips – Fold small pieces of dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips into the cookie dough. You can also try white chocolate chips.
- Other chips – Add peanut butter chips or caramel chips for even more decadent flavor.
- Softened cream cheese – Instead of the buttercream style frosting add some tang by making a cream cheese frosting.
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
It’s quick and easy to store copycat Crumbl Oreo cookies to enjoy later.
Make ahead: You can make these cookies ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for a day or two before serving.
Refrigerator: Store cookies in a single layer an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 5 days. You can also individually wrap them in plastic wrap.
Freezer: Freeze these cookies in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
More Easy Chocolatey Desserts
Copycat Crumbl Oreo Cookies
- 1 stick butter salted, room temperature
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup black cocoa powder
- 2 cups crushed Oreos approximately 16 single stuffed Oreos
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Finely chop 2 cups of Oreos, set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, oil, and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, black cocoa powder, crushed Oreos, baking soda, baking powder
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Scrap down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough into equally sized cookie dough balls (10 cookies)
- Place cookies evenly on the prepared cooking sheet
- Press the cookie flat using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup. (Not too thin, about ½ inch in thickness)
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, don’t overbake.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting
- While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off or a piping bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe frosting on top of cookies in a circular motion.
- Garnish with crushed Oreos
Use room-temperature butter and eggs for the recipe
CRUMBL cookies are recommended to be cut into ¼ for serving size.