Homemade Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are the best no bake dessert for any chocolate lover. All you need are 6 ingredients and a little time to make the BEST chocolatey homemade rice krispie treats.
My family and I rediscovered Homemade Rice Krispie Treats a few years back… and let me tell you: they are delicious.
Not only are they incredibly simple to make, but they’re a fun recipe to make together.
Classic with a Twist
This recipe is a twist on the classic version, which we had a lot of fun taste testing.
We also learned that cocoa crispy rice cereal (as opposed to the classic cereal) is an excellent addition to this easy no bake dessert and takes it to a new level of deliciousness.
These Chocolate Krispie Rice Treats are decadent. They’re wonderfully chocolatey and gooey… and they’re hard to stop eating once you start.
If you’re someone who loves chocolate, this is the recipe for you because it does NOT skimp on the chocolate flavor.
We also added some additional chocolate flavor with the decorations. My family and I added a chocolate drizzle AND chocolate sprinkles, but I have ideas for you below on how you can make these more colorful or make them your own.
No matter how you slice them, these Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats are something special!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
You can easily find all these ingredients at your local grocery store. Here’s what you need:
- Cocoa crispy rice cereal — use your favorite brand! There are several available. I recommend seeking out the cococa crispy cereal because it adds extra cocoa flavor that I could not get into these bars otherwise.
- Butter — you can use salted or unsalted butter. If using salted butter, don’t add the salt. If using unsalted butter, you need a little extra sprinkle of salt. I have more details about this below so you know how much to add, promise. If you’re adding a chocolate drizzle, you’ll also need a bonus tablespoon of butter for that.
- Kosher salt — only to be added if you’re using unsalted butter!
- Vanilla extract — this adds just a little more flavor, in my opinion, and the combination of vanilla with marshmallow and butter is simply divine.
- Marshmallows — mini marshmallows melt best and easiest! Make sure they’re fresh. (Not marshmallow fluff.)
- Chocolate chips — I used semisweet miniature chocolate chips for both the cocoa crispy treats and the drizzle on top of it, but you can use your favorite type of chocolate here.
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
You are going to love how easy these fun treats are to make!
- Prepare the pan. I use a 9”x13” baking dish and line it with wax paper. This will make removing the crispy rice treats easy. You can also give the paper a spritz with nonstick cooking spray to ensure your treats will remove easily. Set aside.
- Measure out the cereal into a large bowl, and set aside. We won’t be mixing these in the bowl, but having this measured out before our marshmallow-butter-chocolate mixture is melty is important.
- Make the krispie treat base. Melt the butter over low heat with the salt in a large pot. Once the butter is melted, stir in the marshmallows. Continually stir until the marshmallows have melted completely, then splash in the vanilla and stir. Next, add the chocolate chips, and stir until they have melted.
- Mix the treats. Turn off the heat, and pour the cereal into the pot with the marshmallow mixture. Stir quickly until the cereal is completely coated.
- Make the bars. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Gently spread it into an even layer with a rubber spatula. If your spatula begins sticking, spritz with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Add decorations! I melted chocolate chips and a little butter in a bowl and then transferred them to a piping bag before drizzling it on the tops of these treats. I also sprinkled on some chocolate sprinkles, too!
- Let the treats cool for about an hour, then cut into rectangles (or any shape you desire) with a sharp knife.
You can make Rice Krispie Treats for any occasion or celebration. All you need is a vision and some additional products to make ‘em festive.
We’ve used candy melts, as well as sprinkles and chocolate-coated candies to decorate our rice krispie treats to elevate them for holidays.
Here are a few more ideas:
- Dip in white chocolate or dark chocolate on top to make Dipped Rice Krispie Treats. You could also do this with colorful candy melts.
- Add some color. Instead of a chocolate drizzle, melt candy melts or white chocolate for a different color. You could also add rainbow sprinkles as a decoration, too.
Quick Tips and Tricks for the Best Crispy Rice Treats
Although easy to make, there are a few things to know to make the perfect rice krispie treats.
- Use fresh marshmallows. They melt more easily and will provide a better texture for your treats. (How do I know this? I’ve attempted this recipe with older marshmallows, and they didn’t turn out quite right.)
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. After this point, the treats will begin to harden.
- Make the decorations even more fun! You can see that I added a drizzle of chocolate and chocolate sprinkles, but you could switch this up, if desired. Add a white chocolate drizzle or colorful sprinkles to decorate these more colorfully.
Storage and Freezing
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. After this point, the treats will begin to harden.
Freezing: You can also easily freeze them! allow to fully cool and then wrap in parchment paper and freeze in an airtight container or plastic bag.
Frequently Asked Questions
The treats harden as they cool, so it’ll take at least 30 minutes after they’ve been in the pan.
No. As marshmallows sit in the pantry, they lose moisture and their texture changes. They will have a harder time melting, and when they do, they will become more of a gelatinous blob.
They run the risk of overcooking and making tougher krispie treats because you’ll need to cook them for longer.
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows about 6 cups
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cocoa crispy rice cereal
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- chocolate sprinkles , for garnish, optional
- Line a 9”x13” baking dish with wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour the cocoa crispy rice cereal into the large bowl, and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the salt when mostly melted.
- Stir in the marshmallows once the butter has melted. Continually stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the vanilla, and stir.
- Add the chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
- Pour the cereal into the marshmallow mixture. Stir quickly until the cereal is coated.
- Pour the cereal bar mixture to the prepared baking dish and gently spread the mixture into an even layer with a rubber spatula. (If the mixture begins sticking, spritz the spatula with the nonstick cooking spray.) Do not press down hard on the mixture, as your treats will be more compact.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter together. Drizzle over the bars in a pattern. Sprinkle on the chocolate sprinkles.
- Let the treats cool completely, about 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife, and enjoy within 2-3 days.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.