Chocolate Lush: Have you heard of it before? A chocolate layered dessert that is also no bake and utterly decadent and delicious. It’s a chocolate lovers dream.
Don’t let the word lush throw you off- this is a dessert lasagna. An Oreo lasagna if you will. If you’re a lover of chocolate desserts like me, this no bake chocolate lush recipe is right up your alley.
Chocolate Lush Recipe
Table of Contents
This is quite literally the perfect summer dessert. It’s a no bake dessert so no heating up the oven, or even the stove, for that matter. And since it is served cold, it’s the best refresher. It’s great for special occasions or any old day, and it’s one of those favorite desserts the entire family will love.
The idea is genius and actually quite simple, and the results are cravable. People will ask for the recipe and be amazed it was so simple. Seriously.
5 Decadent Layers
LAYER 1– Oreo cookie crust. Who doesn’t love a good cookie crust? If you tell me no- you are lying. You can make it from scratch in a food processor, as the recipe suggests, or buy the boxed Oreo cookie crumbs. Fine crumbs work best for this recipe.
PRO TIP: No food processor, no problem! Place your cookies in an airtight plastic bag and give them a few rolls with a rolling pin.
You can even use graham crackers for a graham cracker crust if you prefer. Whichever you use, it equals about 2 cups.
Mix them with melted butter and there ya go- no bake crust!
LAYER 2– Silky cream cheese whipped with sugar and whipped topping. It is like a fluffy cream cheese mixture and oh so velvety and delicious.
And yes, I did say whipped topping opposed to whipped cream. Even stabilized whipped cream will fall and melt a little. Whipped topping, like Cool Whip, is made with vegetable oils and skim milk, making it stay fluffy longer. For desserts like this easy chocolate lush, you need something this stable and stiff.
LAYER 3– Chocolate pudding layer – this cake uses a blend of chocolate and vanilla, but you can use all of one or the other or get creative.
Vanilla and cherry or strawberry pudding mix are good options. As is chocolate and coffee flavors. Slather it over the cream cheese layer.
LAYER 4– This one is purely whipped topping to set the stage for layer 5. Give up some nice wisps and stiff peaks to make it pretty- you can’t go wrong with light and fluffy!
LAYER 5- The toppings! Oh, here you get to go bonkers! Use festive sprinkles, more crushed cookies, maraschino cherries, toasted nuts or sauces like strawberry sauce, fudge, caramel or even praline.
I do suggest waiting until you’ve plated to add sauces or anything heavy, like cherries.
Chocolate Lush Ingredients
You’ll use several of the same ingredients in different layers, so pay attention to how much is used in each step.
- Oreo Cookies- Use regular oreos. I know your inclination is that more stuffing is better, but since this is a crust, you actually want more cookie, less stuffing. An off brand package chocolate sandwich cookies would work too.
- Butter– While I often talk about unsalted butter, salted is fine, in fact preferred, for this amazing dessert recipe.
- Cream cheese– Full fat is best for a super thick and rich layer, but you can also use a low or fat free to cut a few calories.
- Sugar– To sweeten, of course.
- Whipped topping– See my notes above- DO NOT USE WHIP CREAM for your creamy chocolate lush, go get the frozen Cool Whip.
- Instant pudding– Get two small boxes of whatever flavors sound good to you. I use instant chocolate pudding and instant vanilla pudding. Make sure they are instant so they set fast.
- Milk– Whole is best for a fully bold dessert, but you can use 2% or skim. Make sure to use cold milk.
- Toppings– Get creative! See below…
Chocolate Lush Toppings
This can be served with no toppings or some toppings. Have fun with it!
- Mini chocolate chips
- Crushed cookies
- Chocolate curls
- Fresh berries
How to Make Chocolate Lush
I would say bake it- but there is no baking! Only spreading, layering and chilling (or freezing). So here we go, how to make chocolate lush…
My suggestion is to use one large mixing bowl and make all layers in the same bowl. Just make sure to get as much as possible of each layer out with a spatula.
- Press the cookie crust into a dish and chill to set.
- Whip together the first layer (cream cheese) and spread.
- Whip together the second layer (pudding) and spread.
- Top with remaining whipped topping.
- Decide if you want a fluffy chocolate lush or a chocolate icebox cake.
- Garnish and serve. Keep chilled right up until serving.
Chocolate Icebox Cake
Chocolate lush is technically not an icebox cake because it is not frozen. Icebox cakes use the same ingredients, but hit the freezer instead of the fridge.
The good news- this can be a chocolate icebox cake, just freeze it instead! When you do take it out to serve, let it thaw for about 5-10 minutes. Also run a knife under hot water between slices to make cutting easier.
Make Ahead and Storage
While this chocolate lush is super easy, it is also a little volatile. You can make it up to a day ahead of time, but it is best consumed within 24 hours of assembling.
Unless, of course, you freeze it. And then you have up to 3 months to enjoy its deliciousness!
More No Bake Desserts
- 2 cups Oreo Cookie Crumbs*
- ½ cup butter melted
- cooking spray
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 ounces whipped topping such as Cool Whip, thawed and divided
- 3.4 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
- In a mixing bowl, combine Oreo cookie crumbs with melted butter until it forms a paste.
- Coat a 9×13 dish with cooking spray and then press moistened cookie crumbs into the pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set. You can also use the freezer if you are short on time.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in 2 cups (about 8 ounces) whipped topping.
- Spread over chilled crust.
- Place in refrigerator while you make the next layer.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk or a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine chocolate and vanilla instant pudding with milk. Whisk according to package directions (about 2 minutes) and then sit aside to set.
- Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Spread remaining whipped topping (8 ounces or 2 cups) over pudding layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or until ready to serve.
Toppings & Garnish
- Top with sauces and toppings of your choice when ready to serve.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings!
Oh my this is everything I love! Perfect no bake dessert summer parties!
Wow! Lush, luscious, delicious, yummy etc. This no-bake chocolate lush is perfect for a potluck or party. Can’t wait to dig in!
I love how this is a no-bake dessert because it’s perfect for these hot summer days! This is perfect for any chocolate lover!
I love that this is no-bake. Perfect for hot days! It’s super chocolatey, and my kids love it.
Wow! This was so fun to make and super delicious! Thank you for another winner! 🙂