Sometimes I love spending time in the kitchen creating a delicious dessert. Other times I want (or need) to whip up a sweet treat on the fly — that’s where this Cherry Dump Cake saves the day.
All it takes is a simple box of cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, and some melted butter. There are a few possible add-ins, but you can choose what you want to use to make it your own.
The prep is easy, too — just top the cherry filling with the dry cake mix and butter and then bake. The end result is a fruity cake that is basically begging to be topped with whipped cream or a big scoop of ice cream to make it extra decadent.
If you love a mixed berry cobbler, cherry fritters or a cherry crisp, you’re going to love this cherry dump cake recipe. The next time you’re looking for new recipes for desserts that come together quickly, try this — you won’t be disappointed!
Why You’ll Love Cherry Dump Cake
Dump cakes are excellent and here is why:
- Simple – This may be the easiest dessert recipe that you’ll ever make that has only a handful of ingredients.
- Customizable – You can make this dessert your own by adding anything you want to it.
- Fast – This quick dessert requires only a few minutes of prep time before it goes in the oven.
- Versatile – This is a great dessert to serve any night of the week or to take to a special occasion.
- Cherry pie filling – What makes this an easy recipe is that you can use simple ingredients that are store bought. However, if you’re feeling like putting in a little extra time, you can make your own homemade cherry pie filling.
- Maraschino cherry juice – This is optional, but adding the juice of maraschino cherries gives the cake a burst of extra flavor.
- Cherry extract – This extract is optional but it will also give you more cherry flavor.
- Yellow cake mix – Choose whichever box of yellow cake mix is your favorite. Or, use homemade cake mix if you keep it on hand.
- Salted butter – To make this recipe super simple we’re using salted butter instead of unsalted. Melt it in the microwave at 30 second increments
How To Make Cherry Dump Cake
It’s a dump cake, so no mixing bowls needed- just your pan!
- Add cherry filling. Pour the cherry pie filling into the prepared baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add juice and extract. Add the maraschino cherry juice and cherry extract (if using) to the pie filling. Stir to combine the ingredients evenly.
- Smooth it out. Using a spatula, smooth out the filling into an even layer. If you are omitting the cherry juice or extract, just smooth out the canned pie filling on its own into an even layer.
- Sprinkle cake mix. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the cherries. You can shake it straight from the box or use a sifter to help with evenly dispersing it.
- Pour butter. Pour the melted butter over the top, saturating as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake. Bake the cherry dump cake until it’s golden brown on top. It should be bubbly.
- Cool. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes then serve with your favorite toppings. You can serve it slightly warm or at room temperature.
You know we love to put a spin on things.
- Fruit filling – Change the fruit filling to whatever you prefer. Try using apple pie filling in the fall or make a peach dump cake in the summer.
- Cake mix – Choose a different flavor cake mix. Vanilla, lemon, devil’s food, milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, dark chocolate or white cake mix will all work well.
- Toppings – Try any number of things on top of the dump cake! I like a scoop of ice cream on mine, but you can also try chocolate sauce, fresh fruit, crushed pineapple, whipped cream, caramel sauce, powdered sugar, or chocolate chips.
- Lemon juice – Try adding a bit of lemon juice to add some citrusy flavor to the cake. It contrasts well with the sweet cherries.
- Extracts – Switch out the cherry extract in this cherry dump cake for any flavor you prefer including almond extract for nuttiness, lemon extract for brightness, or vanilla extract for a traditional flavor.
Storage and Freezing
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also just wrap the top of the cake pan with plastic wrap. Freezing is not recommended.
More Cake Recipes
Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- 2 21 ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice optional
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract optional
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup salted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the cherry pie filling into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add the maraschino cherry juice and cherry extract if using. Stir to combine and smooth out the filling into an even layer. If you are not using the cherry juice or extract, just smooth out the canned pie filling in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the filling evenly.
- Pour the melted butter all over the top, and try to saturate as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbly. Let sit for 15 minutes and serve.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, make sure to come back and leave us a comment or a quick star rating!